Berlin and the Cold War
Berlin was the front line in a war of nerves and no other city symbolizes the secrecy, tyranny, and double-face of the Cold War.
Follow a trail of ghosts through a Berlin where two superpowers met head-to-head. See where Soviet and American tanks stood on the brink of a nuclear war and experience what life was really like behind the iron curtain.
Your ship2shore guide is an expert on the Cold War, your very own agent, leading you from the island of freedom in West Berlin, across the death strip, into the capital of Central Europe’s most Stalinist state.
Explore the Stalin Allee, a street designed to be one meter wider than the Champs d'elysees and a masterpiece of Socialist architecture.
See the Bernauer Strasse, where the Wall separated East and West often through the houses themselves. We’ll see how and why the Wall was built and talk about life on both sides.
Find out about Berlin, the espionage capital of the world and how the CIA and MI6 tapped Eastern Europe’s communication network in a service tunnel called Operation Gold. See how an MI6 double agent blew the whistle.
Stand in front of the Palace of Tears, the border crossing at Friedrichstrasse, where families separated by the Wall waited for each other and bid their sad farewells.
Your Cold War experience serves as a stark reminder of how the world held its breath for 40 years and how relevant the struggle for freedom is to our world today.
On this tour we cover:
- Berlin wall escape
- Life in East Berlin then and now
- East side gallery, painted Berlin wall
- Berlin Airlift
- Tank stand-off at Checkpoint Charlie
- Stasi secret service
- Main Soviet War Memorial at TreptoTer Park
- Socialist architecture and city planning
- TV tower
- Stalin Allee now Karl Marx Alle
- Stalin's mustache & Left ear
- Soviet embassy & Aeroflot office
- Your day ashore includes the following:
- professional and personable English-speaking guide in from Warnemünde to Berlin--all day
- Transfer Warnemünde (or Rostock or Wismar)–Berlin–Warnemunde (or Rostock or Wismar) in a private, comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
- private A/C vehicle in Berlin all day
- some surprises along the way
- Additional Information:
Cost of lunch is not included in the price. In most restaurants, credit cards are not accepted. You will need cash (EUR only) to purchase lunch. No shops in Berlin take US$.
For your own comfort, please consider bringing a bottle of water!
We stop to use the restrooms the drive to Berlin. In Germany, it is customary to pay for the restrooms. The bonus here is that the restrooms are clean and useable. Please bring soem €.50 coins with you.
It goes without saying that this is a sample itinerary. This is not a chorooligical detail of your portntial tout. Actual start/end depend on your ship's arrival/departure time. Times, sequence, and locations could vary depending on several factors. Sometimes ships are late arriving or the captain will declare an early departure. Berlin traffic is often frustrating, not like Paris or Mexico City, but still a factor to take into consideration. The tour is yours and personalized to you, so it might be different than someone else's.
- Price for your entire group: